It’s been a crazy first round for Cage Match 2012, and I have to ask:
How do your brackets look now?
Mine? Not so great, as I had Sparhawk winning it all…and he just lost to Zaphod Beeblebrox!
(You can see how the rest of the Del Rey team is doing here)
But it was a great match (as were many of them), coming down to the wire, with Zaphod edging out Sparhawk by just 38 votes (full voting breakdown below).
Other close matches included Bast edging out Seregil by 171 votes with a last-minute call-to-arms by Patrick Rothfuss on Facebook (and despite a great write-up by Seregil’s author, Lynn Flewelling), and Ray Lilly upsetting Kellhus by 107 votes, this time with the help of Ray Lilly’s creator Harry Connolly stepping into the mix.
And, of course, there were some blowouts. Poor Tarzan (who Del Rey Editor Frank Parisi had going all the way) was thoroughly trounced by Moiraine, while Kelsier handed Gale Hawthorne a similar smackdown.
In other words: it’s been a lot of fun!
Special thanks to all the authors who contributed: Lynn Flewelling, Ari Marmell, Brent Weeks, Lev Grossman, Matt Stover, Elizabeth Moon, Lia Habel, Stacia Kane, Paula Brandon, David J. Williams, Ted Kosmatka, Paul S. Kemp, and Chris Wooding.
So here’s the breakdown from Round 1 (winners in bold; % = percentage of vote for winner). You can check out all the matches and brackets here.
Miskatonic University: Field House division
- Sparhawk versus Zaphod Beeblebrox: 1,620 to 1,658 (50.58% of the vote)
- Caine versus Paksenarrion: 433 to 271 (61.51%)
- Atticus O’Sullivan versus Aureste: 967 to 114 (89.45%)
- Saphira versus Tattoo: 1,117 to 300 (78.83%)
- Ferro Maljinn versus Gray Mouser: 524 to 293 (64.14%)
- Anomander Rake versus Mellorin Rebaine: 1,086 to 176 (86.05%)
- Bast versus Seregil: 1,241 to 1,070 (53.7%)
- Richard Rahl versus Greg Mandel: 606 to 422 (58.95%)
Starfleet Academy: Holodeck division
- Moiraine Damodred versus Tarzan: 2,574 to 199 (92.82%)
- Raylene Pendle versus The Dagda Mor: 217 to 833 (79.33%)
- Lady Jessica versus Jardir: 677 to 782 (53.6%)
- Havemercy versus Randur Estevu: 563 to 124 (81.95%)
- Morrolon e’Drien versus Tyrion Lannister: 460 to 1,075 (70.03%)
- Anasûrimbor Kellhus versus Ray Lilly: 844 to 957 (53.14%)
- Babcock versu Chess Putnam: 301 to 661 (68.71%)
- Kelsier versus Gale Hawthorne: 2,577 to 214 (92.33%)
Professor Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters: Danger Room division
- Revan versus Y.T.: 878 to 201 (81.37%)
- Waylander versus Tomas: 228 to 691 (75.19%)
- Mr. Wednesday versus The Escapist: 871 to 126 (87.36%)
- Felix versus Claire Haskell:212 to 346 (62.01%)
- Iorek Byrnison versus Susannah Dean: 679 to 477 (58.74%)
- Napoleon (on a dragon) versus Darian Frey: 564 to 403 (58.32%)
- The Fool versus Evangeline Stone: 817 to 318 (71.98%)
- Granny Weatherwax versus Bram: 858 to 230 (78.86%)
Hogwarts: Quidditch Pitch division
- Harry Potter versus The Horned King: 1,168 to 762 (60.52%)
- Gimli versus Kylar Stern: 1,155 to 1,515 (56.74%)
- Wicked Witch of the West versus Peter Grant: 466 to 576 (55.28%)
- Julia versus Kull: 642 to 557 (53.54%)
- Erevis Cale versus Johnny Rico: 939 to 576 (61.98%)
- Carnival versus Jean Tannen: 506 to 633 (55.58%)
- Ringil Eskiath versus Rachel Morgan: 382 to 1,434 (78.96%)
- Jonathan Strange versus Stony Mayhall: 711 to 399 (64.05%)
And don’t forget: Round 2 starts Monday, March 12 at 10 AM EST, right here on unboundworlds.com.
Also, we’re still looking for character art. Check out the details here.