The Whiz Kids by Annie Liebovitz
1. a person who is in charge of an activity, department, or organization.
The director of a movie wields the creative power.
So when a great director sits in that powerful chair, the result is often a movie that captures the human condition and the world’s—or in some cases, the universe’s—wonder.
Science fiction has long had a tradition of great movie directors. Fantasy has lagged but there are several promising new directors, those who are working on adapting some of the best fantasy novels. For us geeks, the biggest director names in Hollywood have been our own.
I’ll never forget watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind for the first time. It captured everything I wanted in a movie. Great characters. The unknown. Beautiful music. Fantastic dialog and acting. A setting that was out of this world even though it was in our own. And of course, humanity’s pursuit for understanding more than merely itself.
Below is a list of some of the best directors and their movies. For the record, I have selected to post movies that have some kind of fantastical element to them—whether in space, in our world, or some other world.
WHO IS THE GREATEST SCI-FI / FANTASY MOVIE DIRECTOR OF ALL TIME?
- Super 8
- Star Trek
- Star Trek Into Darkness
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon
- Edward Scissorhands
- Batman Returns
- Mars Attacks!
- Sleepy Hollow
- Planet of the Apes
- Alice in Wonderland
- Dark Shadows
- The Terminator
- The Abyss
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- The Brood
- The Dead Zone
- The Fly
- Time Bandits
- The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
- Twelve Monkeys
- The Brothers Grimm
- The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
- Dead Alive
- The Frighteners
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
- King Kong
- The Lovely Bones
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
- Dr. Strangelove
- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- A Clockwork Orange
- The Shining
- THX 1138
- Star Wars
- Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith
- Batman Begins
- The Prestige
- The Dark Knight
- The Dark Knight Rises
- Blade Runner
- Robin Hood
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Jurassic Park
- The Lost World: Jurassic Park
- A.I. Artificial Intelligence
- Minority Report
- War of the Worlds
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
- Back to the Future
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit
- Back to the Future Part II
- Back to the Future Part III
- Death Becomes Her
- Forrest Gump
Now it is up to you! You can only pick one director. Who do you think is the greatest science fiction and fantasy movie director of all time? Got a favorite movie? Post it!