This year sees the sixth running of the David Gemmell Awards for Fantasy, one of fantasy fiction’s most prestigious prizes, with the superb trophies to be awarded at a stunning ceremony this June at London’s glamorous Magic Circle. With just a few months to go until this exciting event, the shortlists for each of the three prize categories have just been announced at this year’s EasterCon event, and again feature some of the best-known and most talented names within the field.
The Legend Award for Best Novel includes three of America’s biggest names in fantasy, with titles from Brandon Sanderson and Robert Jordan, Peter V Brett and Scott Lynch, as well as superb titles from British authors Mark Lawrence and Adrian Tchaikovsky.
The Morningstar Award is given for Best Debut, and features an intriguing mix of titles. Whilst the major fantasy imprints are represented by first novels from Antoine Rouaud and Brian McLellan, independent and tie-in publishing are strongly represented by debuts from Luke Scull (Head of Zeus), Mark T Barnes (47 North) and David Guymer (Black Library).
The Ravenheart Award for Best Cover Art is a unique award acknowledging and celebrating the superb work done by fantasy artists, and this year features a truly international set of nominees in Benjamin Carre, Jason Chan, Michael Frost and Gene Mollica, Cheol Joo Lee and Rhett Podersoo.
Stan Nicholls, Chair for the Gemmell Awards, said:
‘This year’s shortlist once again represents some of the very finest in fantasy fiction, with some incredible titles featured in all the categories. This year also represents a fascinating mixture not only of international names but also different aspects of the publishing world, showcasing the depth of quality in modern fantasy.’
Legend Award (Best novel)
- The Daylight War by Peter V Brett (Del Rey Books US)
- Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence (Harper Collins UK)
- The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch (Del Rey Books US)
- A Memory of Light by Brandon Sanderson and Robert Jordan (Tor/Forge US)
- War Master’s Gate by Adrian Tchaikovsky (Tor UK)
Morningstar Award (Best debut novel)
- The Garden of Stones by Mark T Barnes (47 North)
- Headtaker by David Guymer (Black Library)
- Promise of Blood by Brian McLellan (Orbit)
- The Path of Anger by Antoine Rouaud (Gollancz)
- The Grim Company by Luke Scull (Head of Zeus)
Ravenheart Award (Best cover art)
- Benjamin Carre for the cover of The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch (Gollancz)
- Jason Chan for the cover of Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence (Harper Collins UK)
- Cheol Joo Lee for the cover of Skarsnik by Guy Haley (Black Library)
- Gene Mollica and Michael Frost for the cover of Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan (Orbit)
- Rhett Podersoo for the cover of She Who Waits by Daniel Polansky (Hodder)
Best of luck to the talented!